All too often the message of Amos is broken up and read in pieces – either devotionally, so that we know only the ‘purple passages,’ or academically, separating Amos’s original message from its later editing.
But reading it as a whole opens up powerful new understandings. We see Amos’s passion as he tries to persuade a complacent people to wake up to God’s judgment and grace – a message we desperately need to hear in our own day.
1. Getting Started
2. An Opening Trap (Amos 1-2)
3. Passionate Dialogue with a Late Audience (Amos 3.1-5.17)
4. Woes and Throes (Amos 5.18-6.14)
5. Visions of the End (Amos 7-9)
6. Reading Amos: Some Conclusions
7. Suggestions for Further Reading